[TUHS] V6: 50 bugs tape
Mirian Crzig Lennox
mirian at cosmic.com
Sat Dec 28 06:58:34 AEST 2002
This reminds me that I fixed a couple of "bugs" (some outright bugs,
and some mere behaviours which I didn't quite like) in playing with my
V6/simh environment, and I'm wondering if there is a place I should
submit them in case others might be interested. The bugs I've fixed
so far include:
* Compensated for the ldiv bug in ctime().
* Fixed date to allow setting the century in the year.
* Changed df to read /etc/mtab, rather than use a hard-coded
list of filesystems.
* Mkfs wasn't always initialising the 'ino' variable properly,
leading to inconsistent behaviour. Initialised to zero.
* Stopped the ps command printing garbage in the COMMAND field
of process 0.
Some other modifications I've made which bring V6 more in line with
what a seasoned Unix hacker might wish for:
* Changed the shell to allow "cd" as well as "chdir".
* For the mount command, added a -f options for 'fake' mounts
which update /etc/mtab without actually mounting a filesystem.
(useful for putting the root filesystem in the mtab)
* Implemented the inverse operation for the umount command.
* Changed getty and login command to make the default "erase"
character be octal 10 rather than hash mark.
* Changed the stty command to additionally allow setting "erase"
and "kill" characters by their octal codes.
If any of these would be considered interesting, I would be only too
happy to release patches. I'll doubtless have more, as well, as I
My eventual goal is to come up with a 6th edition UNIX which is quite
usable, while still being recognisable as 6th edition.
More information about the TUHS