[pdp7-unix] Asymmetries and other faults in the Graphic 2 characters

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Thu Oct 31 02:40:00 AEST 2019

I'm trying to render the Graphic 2 PDP-7 Unix .cas character
descriptions into SVG, aiming eventually to create a corresponding
modern font file.  You can find the code on GitHub [1].

However, the generated images have some asymmetries and other small
faults; see the image in the corresponding issue [2].

I can't see a change in the rendering code that would fix these
problems. Is my rendering code subtly incorrect or are some character
descriptions faulty?

Also, the images I'm seeing on a simh issue [3] and a patent text [4]
indicate that Graphic 2 might have a bitmap display.  On the other hand,
the .cas character description format and a YouTube video of Graphic 1
[5] point toward a vector display.  What is the case for Graphic 2?

[1] https://github.com/dspinellis/cas2svg
[2] https://github.com/dspinellis/cas2svg/issues/1
[3] https://github.com/simh/simh/issues/754
[4] https://patents.google.com/patent/US3653001A/en