[pdp7-unix] "original-commands" branch

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Oct 29 11:54:23 AEST 2019

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 7:52 PM Phil Budne via pdp7-unix <
pdp7-unix at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:

> Lars wrote re: make
> > I agree to keep it portable.
>
> For now, that ship has sailed... The Makefiles have GNUisms, and I'm
> not inclined to move things in either direction.  I brought it up only
> because I mentioned that my knowledge of non-portable features is
> small...  It's not possible to build a lot of open software without
> GNU make (SimH uses it), and OSX threw in that towel a while ago and
> made gmake the default.
>
> This isn't my repo, I'm just trying to help things along because
> Warren can't devote time to the project right now.

So long as we're not doing weird stuff, then on FreeBSD one just installs
the gmake package (pkg install gmake) and then gmake will work. You have to
do pretty weird things for it to fail, but those are easily fixed, usually
with a s/make/${MAKE}/g :).

It's not a huge burden, imho, to require gmake.

Warner