[pdp7-unix] pdp7-unix Digest, Vol 5, Issue 21

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 14:15:53 AEST 2019

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 23, 2019, at 9:00 PM, pdp7-unix-request at minnie.tuhs.org wrote:
>
> I suppose a "score board" (table) of program status would be a good
> thing to have (on the repo wiki?)!!

I vote yes! I have been trying to do more, but it moves pretty fast around here and every time I get ready to submit my changes, somebody else, you know who you are :), beats me to it. It didn’t really occur to me to have second transcription copies in the repo, or I would have happily uploaded some if I knew where to put them. Generally,
I just compare mine with whatever got there first and if anything looked important I either told somebody, or made the minor corrections and did a pull request. But everyone is pretty thorough and the bugs are pretty tough to find sometimes.

I tend to agree with y’all about transcribing verbatim, spacing included. So, when this is in the scan 0:0 vs 0: 0, I go with the scan and don’t make style judgements. Although, over in src, it’s another story. Keeping changes synced is a growing concern as src gets bug fixes and scans get reading fixes...

I just wanna say thanks to everyone working on this considering it’s been less than a week (or right at a week), the progress is phenomenal.

Warren’s comment about the original sh having the ch command reminded me why I love primary sources so much. It’s bothered me that Dennis’s paper said they used ch instead of chdir but that this wasn’t what it was doing in pdp7-unix. I worried  a bit about the inconsistency, not that it was a big deal, but just an odd thing. I didn’t realize we were using a souped up sh :). Along these lines, I’ve been reading the created code with the annotations alongside the new originals and they are shockingly similar - another thing to keep me ever amazed.

Anyhow, I started this reply to say a checklist of progress/wishlist is a fabulous idea. That way, we could contribute what’s actually needed!

Thanks,

Will