[pdp7-unix] pdp7-unix Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Oct 23 16:20:59 AEST 2019

Will Senn wrote:
> Having a hard time wrapping my head around the ln system cat cat command
> though! I've read The Evolution of the Unix Time-sharing System a couple of
> times and still don't understand why this makes sense:
>
> ln dd ken ken
> ln ken x x
> rm ken

I also found this confusing, and I expect future newcomers will too.
People are likely to expect this Unix to work like the newer versions.
The file system seems familiar but is quite alien in some respects.

I suggest a good addition would be a Beginner's Guide with, say, the ten
most basic commands and concepts explained.  The "ln this that other"
command would certainly be one of them.