[pdp7-unix] ln ken x x

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Wed Oct 23 06:38:57 AEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 03:09:05PM -0500, Will Senn via pdp7-unix wrote:
>    Having a hard time wrapping my head around the ln system cat cat
>    command though! I've read The Evolution of the Unix Time-sharing System
>    a couple of times and still don't understand why this makes sense:
>
> ln dd ken ken
> ln ken x x
> rm ken

Back when there was no . or .., every directory has a link back to dd.
And you could only reference a file by having access to a directory
where that file lived.

Thus:

	ln dd ken ken	# make a link to the 'ken' directory here
			# by using our existing access to dd

	ln ken x x	# make a link to ken/x using our new access
			# to ken here

	rm ken		# no need for this any more!

which is what we now do as: ln /ken/x x

Cheers, Warren