[pdp7-unix] Page comments in cas.x

Phil Budne phil at ultimate.com
Mon Oct 21 10:13:17 AEST 2019

Sebastian wrote:
> The page comments in scans/cas.x make sense and are helpful,
> but are they desirable in src/cmd/cas.x ?

probably not.  The files are small enough to navigate without the
signpost comments.

> As I understood Lars build/bin/cas uses src/cmd/cas.x as input data,
> and I worry that it does not ignore the page comments, and that they
> thus do more harm than good when the file is used as input. I haven't
> figured out how to run cas so I can't convince myself either way.
> Does anyone know how to run cas....

Here's how I've been able to run it:

$ ../../tools/as7 -o cas cas.s
II
cas.s
$ grep -v ^" cas.x > cas2
$ ../../tools/a7out cas cas2out cas2
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
  ?
" ?
? ?
? ?
? ?
$ head -40 cas2out
x:
0111111
0111170
0501313
0131313
0137454
0070707
0070707
0267212
0030303
0030300
ca=x-b+0272000

x:
0602072
0721313
0341515
0767670
0707072
0721313
0341515
0030303
0030304
cb=x-b+0266000

x:
0010162
0621515
0763617
0177070
0111172
0321313
0130303
0644400
cc=x-b+0256000

> or how Lars went from the cas.x
> data to the character definitions he is currently using?

I do not....  Tho I suspect he did so under SIMH, as opposed to a7out,
as he submitted a PR with an output file, and I suggested adding stuff
to build/Makefile to generate it using a7out.  I had to remove a
restriction (a7out didn't ignore write attempts of zero words!)