[pdp7-unix] Transcription of ttt{1,2}.s and un.s

Sebastian Rasmussen sebras at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 12:23:57 AEST 2019

Hi, Will!

> Since you aren’t on the list yet
I was actually added a few hours ago, so I'll go ahead and CC the list.

> and since you seem to know about git...
> here’s what I posted to the list - maybe you can help me out:

In my experience you need your own account on github and fork of the project
that you want to contribute to (but I might be wrong). The number of subcommands
and options in git is vast, and so my way of using it (and github)
might not be optimal.
These are roughly the steps happen to I use, I hope they are useful to you. :)

0. Register for a github.com account, I assume your account name is
USERNAME in the steps below.

1. Go to https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix and click "fork" in
the upper right corner.
This will create your own copy of the project on github under
https://github.com/USERNAME/pdp7-unix
and here you may do whatever you like, independent of upstream at
https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix

2.  Run git clone https://github.com/USERNAME/pdp7-unix.git
This creates a local copy of the your own git along with all branches
and history in ./pdp7-unix

3. Run cd pdp7-unix

4. Create and transcribe new files, fix compilation errors or fix
typos by editing files
E.g. I recently fixed a few typos in scans/un.s

5. Check your changes to existing files by running git diff

6. When you are done, either run git add -u to add all changed files,
or run git add scans/FILENAME.s one by one to add changed or new files
If I made many changes I tend to run git add -p and interactively
include each diff
hunk (y or n) to make each commit logically separate.
Tom Everett advised me to run ./tools/as7 ./scans/FILENAME.s if you
want to check if your file compiles.

7. Run git diff --cached to see what you will check in.

8. Run either git commit and then edit the (possibly multi-line)
commit message in your $EDITOR
or run git commit -m 'explain what you did on a single line.'

9. Run git show HEAD to convince yourself that the commit is golden. :)

10. Run git push origin HEAD:master
This pushes the commit to your forked copy at
https://github.com/USERNAME/pdp7-unix/

11. Go to https://github.com/USERNAME/pdp7-unix/ make sure the
Branch-combobox says "Branch: master"

12. Click the "New pull request" button
To the left you should then have DoktorWkt/pdp7-unix on base:master
and to the right your USERNAME/pdp7-unix compare:master
Below you should be seeing your changes.

13. Click "Create pull request". Your commit message will
automagically be used to
describe the pull request, but you may edit it before your submit.

> git request-pull branch-name https://github.com/DoctorWkt/pdp7-unix.git

Doing this from the command line might replace steps 10 through 13, but I am
not very familiar with git request-pull (I only rarely work with git
repos on github).
Perhaps this is something I should be looking into myself, but today I got
sidetracked by transcribing a few pieces of source code from scans... :)

 / Sebastian