On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 16:10, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
On 7/9/19 1:19 PM, Henry Bent wrote:
> I realized that UCol was using a PDP-11, not a VAX, so I switched to
> running things under Ultrix 3.1. Using the extended plot libraries that
> UCol provided on the usenix tape, I was able to get Tektronix 4014
> output which I was able to run through a modern tek2plot.  Here are
> links to the raw plot file and an SVG, which I think is most useful for
> this sort of display.
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/19mdAYvjlAq7qp5KyJWQrgMwefOfq7XuC/view?usp=sharing
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tX7Qclk-1V5BOrXWKP0bZouf6PoZ3KlK/view?usp=sharing


Would you mind sharing the command sequence that you used?

I'm trying to piece things together that I've never messed with and
learn along the way.

Please and thank you.

My apologies, I am sometimes not as careful with documentation as I should be.  I'm not up for transcribing every last command, but I can walk you through the basic idea.  This assumes that you have extracted the necessary files from http://www.stargatemuseum.org/maps/032383.GRF.txt , which you have to do by hand because this is before shar.

This was all done in SIMH, using a simulated PDP-11/70 running Ultrix 3.1, but I believe that what I did would work just as well on 2.xBSD.  The 1981 Usenix tape ( https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Shoppa_Tapes/usenix_81.tar.gz ) was attached to a virtual TK-50 drive (SIMH can now attach .tar files directly, with no conversion!) and extracted.  The "ucol" directory contains the sources for leroy.  The first step is to rebuild the plot library in leroy/plotsrc. Remove plib and *.o and run make, then back to the leroy directory, clean and make.  The makefile installs /bin/leroy for you after building.  Run "/bin/leroy < map.leroy" and it gives you leroy.out, which is in the special extended plot format that UCol developed.  You need to convert this to Tek 4014, and there is a program for doing that in ucol/plot.  But first you have to build the modified libt4014, which is in ucol/libplot.  "make lilbt4014.a" will get you what you need there.  Back to ucol/plot, edit the makefile to use your newly built libt4014 instead of the system's, clean out everything there and build tek.  But wait!  You still need the Hershey fonts in the right place, so move the contents of ucol/vroff to be /usr/src/cmd/vroff (or you could modify the source to put it wherever you want, I guess).  Then finally you can pipe leroy.out through tek to get a 4014 file, which will be readable by a modern tek2plot.