Next: FreeBSD Networking
Up: No Title
Previous: How is FreeBSD
- VM system improvements
- Improved page replacement algorithm.
- Clustered page-ins and page-outs reduces disk seeks.
- Direct paging I/O (not via buffer cache) improves performance.
- ``Pre-faulting'' - map resident pages at mmap time
eliminates initial paging overhead.
- I/O system improvements
- Improved file I/O clustering algorithms, delayed writes are
- Bounce buffers allows using ISA DMA controllers with >16MB.
- A merged VM/buffer cache uses all free memory for file caching
and eliminates cache coherency problems.
- Network system improvements
- Socket and TCP performance improved via greater use of
- Connection hashing to improve speed of packet reception.
- New multicast code from LBL.
- Firewall capability with packet filtering and
enhanced security auditing.
- Support for high speed networking such as 100BT and FDDI.
- Miscellaneous improvements
- SCO, Linux and System V emulation.
- PCI support and PCMCIA support in --current.
- Advanced Power Management for laptops.
- Automatic loadable kernel modules.
- Sun style shared libraries.
- Work in progress
- Symmetric Multi-Processing.
- Support for additional architectures: Sparc, PowerPC, ALPHA.
- DOS emulation.
- Additional VM system improvements.
- Ext2FS filesystem and more advanced Linux emulation.
Tue Sep 5 11:22:10 EST 1995