[TUHS] Pipes as temp. files

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Feb 23 11:10:31 AEST 2018

Just curious; am I the only who, back in the early days of V6, used pipes
as temporary files?  I mean that after calling pipe(), instead of then
forking and playing "file-descriptor footsie" you just read and wrote
within the same process.

I seem to recall that it worked, as long as you avoided the 8-block limit
(or whatever it was then); I have no idea why I tried it, other than to
see if it worked i.e. avoid the creat() (without the "e") etc.