[TUHS] Windows roots and Unix influence (was Re: Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Feb 5 08:43:28 AEST 2018

On Sun, 4 Feb 2018, Dan Cross wrote:

>       Amusingly, I have a device in my airplane that runs NT4 without
>       any Windows graphical API on it.   You can see the thing printing
>       the NT4 startup and build number when you power it on and it will
>       BSOD.
> BSOD on an airplane? That sounds kind of scary.

Dunno if you're joking or not, but if you're serious then yes, NT starts
up with a nice bright blue screen and some gibberish, and to log on you
have to "CTL/ALT/DEL".  Yes, really...  I did not endear myself to my
Windoze-loving cow-orkers when I commented that a) it comes with its own
BSOD, and b) you have to reboot it to log on.