[TUHS] Source code abundance?

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Thu Mar 2 06:18:03 AEST 2017


Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:

> > Well, that's probably 95% true...the other 5% is Solaris. ;)
>
> I sometimes wonder how the legality of that worked (a recent complaint
> someone made about BSD drivers being incorporated into Linux got me
> thinking about it again) - surely there are big chunks of the
> opensolaris code that are not *very much* changed from the original
> System V code they're based on. Under what theory, then, was Sun the
> copyright holder and therefore able to release it under the CDDL?

Files that have been written by Sun or AT&T are published under the CDDL.

Files from BSD (and not imported from Sun to BSD) did keep their BSD 
license.... 

Note that the whole license analysys did take aprox. 5 years.

Example:

./cmd/csh/sh.dir.c  
/*
 * Copyright 2005 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 * Use is subject to license terms.
 */

/*      Copyright (c) 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 AT&T     */
/*        All Rights Reserved   */

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1980 Regents of the University of California.
 * All rights reserved.  The Berkeley Software License Agreement
 * specifies the terms and conditions for redistribution.
 */

#pragma ident   "%Z%%M% %I%     %E% SMI"
...


Jörg

-- 
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       joerg.schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/
 URL:  http://cdrecord.org/private/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/schilytools/files/


More information about the TUHS mailing list