[TUHS] Source code abundance?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Mar 2 05:51:29 AEST 2017


On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017, at 14:29, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2017, Henry Bent wrote:
>>
>> > My understanding is that System V source of any sort is not legal to
>> > distribute.  I believe that source exists and has been archived for at
>> > least some variants of SVR1, SVR2, SVR3, and SVR4.
>>
>> Well, that's probably 95% true...the other 5% is Solaris. ;)
>
> I sometimes wonder how the legality of that worked (a recent complaint
> someone made about BSD drivers being incorporated into Linux got me
> thinking about it again) - surely there are big chunks of the
> opensolaris code that are not *very much* changed from the original
> System V code they're based on. Under what theory, then, was Sun the
> copyright holder and therefore able to release it under the CDDL?

Their paid-up perpetual license that granted them the right to do that?

Warner


More information about the TUHS mailing list