Next: The Ethos of
Up: No Title
Previous: FreeBSD Networking
- FreeBSD is a growing favorite among Internet Service Providers and
other people requiring serious network performance and reliability.
- In America, BEST Internet, CalWEB, WIN.NET, and Walnut
Creek use FreeBSD to provide Internet services.
- At Walnut Creek, freefall.freebsd.org processes over
100,000 email messages a day.
- Walnut Creek's main FTP server, ftp.cdrom.com is a Pentium 100
with 128M, a 32-bit Ethernet card and 50GB of disk.
- ftp.cdrom.com allows 330 FTP users at a time (and an unlimited
number of WWW connections) and is almost always full.
- It pumps out between 300K and 1M/sec continuously, or
approximately 43GB every day onto the Internet.
- FreeBSD is sponsored by Walnut Creek but is an entirely
independent project. Since Walnut Creek runs what is
generally considered to be the busiest site on the Internet,
the partnership has been rather mutually beneficial.
- At ADFA, a 386SX16 with 4M is serving 23M of web pages a day.
Tue Sep 5 11:22:10 EST 1995